ATC CNC Router Basics - The Beginner's Guide
Are you looking forward to build a CNC automatic tool changer kit or buy affordable ATC CNC routers with automatic tool changer kits for wood, MDF, aluminum, brass, copper, foam, stone, plastic with routing, cutting, carving, milling, drilling, and grooving? Review 2021 top rated ATC CNC router buyer's guide for CNC machinists, fabricators, operators and beginners, we'll offer you the best CNC routers with ATC kits of 2021 at cost price with custom service to fit your CNC plans, projects, and ideas.
What Is Automatic Tool Changer (ATC)?
The full form of ATC is Automatic Tool Changer, which is a device for transferring, loading and unloading of tools between the spindle and the tool magazine. Automatic tool changer kit realizes the needs of continuous machining tool change between the part processes, that is, after each process is completed, the new tool used in the next process is automatically changed to the spindle, the exchange of tools is generally completed by the coordinated action of the manipulator, tool magazine and spindle. Compared with multi spindle CNC routers, ATC only needs one spindle in the headstock, the spindle components have sufficient rigidity to meet the requirements of various precision machining. In addition, the tool magazine can store a large number of tools for multi-step machining of complex parts, which can significantly improve the adaptability and machining efficiency of CNC router machines. The ATC system in the CNC machining center consists of two parts: a tool magazine and an automatic tool change device. It has two major advantages: the first is that only one spindle is reserved, which is beneficial to simplify the structure of the spindle and improve the rigidity of the spindle; the second is that a large number of tools with different types and functions can be stored in the library, which is convenient complete various complex and multi-step processing procedures. Automatic tool changer kit is composed of tool magazine, tool selection system, tool exchange mechanism and other parts, and the structure is more complicated. It is responsible for transferring the tool between the tool magazine and the spindle, pushing the tool to be used to the spindle, and then sending the replaced tool back to the tool magazine inside. Although this tool change method is not as straightforward as the previous one, it avoids the tool magazine and spindle from moving for tool change, and is replaced by an automatic tool changer. In this way, the movement range of the mechanical components is reduced, the tool change is completed faster, and the design layout is also more flexible.
What Is ATC CNC Router?
ATC CNC routers are a type of automatic CNC machine with tool changer for cabinet making, door making, furniture making, crafts making, decorations, musical instruments, sign making, windows, tables, and most popular woodworking projects & plans. The spindles usually carry tool magazines with 6 cutters or 8 cutters or 10 cutters or 12 cutters. The tools can automatically change according to the working requirements when the machine works, no need of manual operation. You will meet three most common types of ATC CNC router kits, which include linear ATC CNC kits, drum ATC CNC kits (rotary ATC CNC kits), and chain ATC CNC kits.
Features & Advantages
The high-power automatic tool-changing spindle is adopted, with good starting performance and large torque, which can give full play to the advantages of the machine's high speed and higher efficiency. It adopts high-torque servo motor made in Japan, which has the advantages of low noise, high speed and high positioning accuracy. Equipped with a unique tool magazine, you can exchange the required router bits at will. The tool change time only takes a few seconds. The standard tool magazine comes with 8 tools, and a larger capacity tool magazine can be customized.
Types of Automatic Tool Changers
Automatic tool changers are mainly divided into three common types: linear type, drum type, and chain type, we will introduce them one by one.
Linear Type Tool Changer
This is a type of in-line automatic tool changer, which used for magazines with 4 to 12 tools. It is featured by fast tool change and easy to use.
Drum Type Tool Changer
This is a type of rotary automatic tool changer, which is also known as CTM type ATC and disc type ATC. It is used for magazines with 8 to 20 tools.
Chain Type Tool Changer
It is mainly used for vertical CNC machines with lower tool changing speed. It is designed for magazines with more than 30 tools.
ATC CNC router machines can be used in various industries, such as furniture and home improvement, wooden crafts, cabinets, screens, advertising, musical instruments or precision instrument shell processing industries. And the materials that can be processed mainly include various non-metallic materials such as wood, glass, stone, plastic, acrylic, and insulating materials.
Home doors, 3D wave board machining, cabinet doors, solid wood doors, craft wooden doors, paint-free doors, screens, craft window making, shoe polishers, game machine cabinets and panels, computer tables and panel furniture making.
It can make metal molds such as copper, aluminum, iron and more, as well as non-metal molds such as wood, stone, plastic, PVC, and more.
Advertising & Hobbyists
Sign making, logo making, lettering, acrylic cutting, blister molding, and decorations.
It can make all kinds of shadow sculptures and relief sculptures, which are widely used in the crafts and gifts industries.
CNC router with ATC is the most powerful classification of CNC machine tools. Although the machining strength and speed are incomparable to other CNC machines, as a fully automated mechanical equipment, daily inspection and maintenance are also very necessary. A CNC router with tool changer is completely different from the detection and fault diagnosis methods of ordinary CNC machines.
Machine Operation Inspection Method
The machine tool operation inspection method is a method of observing and monitoring the actual operation of the machine tool to determine the position of the malfunction and thus to trace the root cause of the fault. Generally speaking, CNC machine kits adopt hydraulic and pneumatic control parts, such as automatic tool changer, exchange table device, fixture and transmission device, etc., which can be used to determine the cause of the fault through motion diagnosis.
State Analysis Method
The CNC system can not only display fault diagnosis information, but also provide various states of diagnosis in the form of diagnosis address and diagnosis data. For example, when the system returns to the reference point incorrectly, you can check the status value of the relevant parameter to determine the cause of the failure.
CNC Programming Check Method
The CNC programming check method is also called the program function test method. It is a method to confirm the cause of the failure by compiling a special test program segment. You can use the manual programming method to compile a function test program for the system functions (such as linear positioning, circular interpolation, thread cutting, canned cycles, user macro programs, etc.), and run the test program to check The accuracy and reliability of the machine tool to perform these functions, and then determine the cause of the failure. Usually a test program is written with instructions for repairing the machine tool, and the program is run when a fault occurs to determine what the fault is.
Instrument Inspection Method
Instrument inspection method refers to the use of conventional electrical instruments to measure the voltage of each group of AC and DC power supplies, phase DC and pulse signals, etc., to find faults.
Numerical Control System Self-Diagnosis Method
The self-diagnosis of the numerical control system is a diagnostic method that uses the internal self-diagnosis program or special diagnostic software of the system to self-diagnose and test the key hardware inside the system and the control software of the system. It mainly includes power-on self-diagnosis, online monitoring and offline testing. The CNC machine tool uses the system's self-diagnosis function, which can easily display the interface signal status between the system and each part, and find out the general location of the fault. It is the most commonly used method in the fault diagnosis process.
$100000.00 - $110000.00
2021 top rated 5 axis CNC router is designed for 3D modeling, cutting, and mold making, including automotive foam mold, ship model, building model, metalloid moulds, 3D carving and 3D cutting of large-scale instruments. Now the best five-axis CNC router for sale at cost price within your budget.
$18000.00 - $23000.00
4x8 ATC CNC router machine features rotary automatic tool changer kit with a tool magazine of 10 router bits, the tools will change automatically to fit different works. The 4x8 CNC router table with ATC spindle kit is suitable for cabinet making, door making, decorations, signs making, crafts making, and more woodworking projects & plans.
$14200.00 - $18000.00
5x10 CNC router machine with linear automatic tool changer kit and 60x120 inches table size is mainly used for woodworking, cabinet making, wood door making, wood furniture production and wood crafts, now the best 5x10 CNC router table for sale at low price.
$20800.00 - $27000.00
Rotary automatic tool changer CNC machining center uses a carousel tool magazine of 12 router bits for woodworking. All the CNC machining tools can be changed automatically in the woodworking process.
$22800.00 - $35000.00
4 axis CNC router for woodworking with drum automatic tool changer spindle kit is used for routing, milling, drilling, cutting, the 4 axis wood CNC machine adopts 9KW HSD spindle kit with rotary carousel tool holder for woodworking.
$18000.00 - $23000.00
Disc automatic tool changer CNC router with drum type ATC kit has no need to change tools manually during machining, drum type ATC CNC router is smart to operate the working process with rotary automatic tool changer kit.
$20000.00 - $25000.00
Linear ATC CNC wood router with SYNTEC control system is used for decorations, musical instruments, wood crafts, wood furniture, wood door making, cabinet making, windows, tables, etc. Now the best linear ATC wood CNC router for sale at affordable price.
$6000.00 - $20000.00
Small CNC router machine 6090 with automatic tool changer (ATC) and 2x3 table size is designed for those who need multiple tools for CNC routing projects without enough space for a larger CNC machine.
$20000.00 - $30000.00
Moving table CNC router machine with rotary automatic tool changer is used for high precision engraving and cutting on wood, brass, aluminum, foam, plastic, acrylic, MDF and more similar materials.
$13888.00 - $18800.00
Affordable linear ATC CNC router kit with automatic tool changer is a full automatic CNC woodworking machine for furniture making, wood decorations, wood crafts, wood door making, and cabinets making.
$18800.00 - $22800.00
CNC machine for custom woodworking with carousel ATC system is suitable for wood, MDF, plywood carving, cutting and milling with 12 tools carousel type automatic tool changer.
$20000.00 - $26000.00
3 axis CNC machining center with dual rotary ATC kits for woodworking adopts double drum tool magazine including 16 tools, the CNC woodworking machining center is especially designed for wood furniture making.
$18800.00 - $23800.00
CNC router for aluminum with disc automatic tool changer system is used to carve and cut aluminum, brass, copper and more soft metals, now the aluminum CNC router for sale at affordable price.
- Showing 13 results on 1 page
Feature Stories & Articles
Sep 15, 2021Disc automatic tool changer CNC router machine with 16 tools ATC magazine from STYLECNC is used for cabinet furniture making in United Arab Emirates.
Mar 26, 2020The carousel ATC CNC machining center is designed for our Mozambique customer, who will use it to make cabinet doors, and we customized the machine color according to his requirements.
Aug 02, 2021Wooden door making CNC router with linear ATC system can change 8pcs different bits for carving, milling, slotting, grooving, cutting, chamfer edge and so on. The double cutter horizontal spindle for lock hole and hinge hole drilling. It can finish the whole wooden door making projects without other tools.
Aug 02, 2021Pneumatic ATC CNC router with 4 spindles is ready for delivery to Indonesia customer who uses it to make cabinet furniture. It has four spindles for automatic tool changer with different router bits.
Mar 12, 2021Turkmenistan customer (Mr. begli) and his partner visited STYLECNC factory for inspection on 27th, July, 2017, and finally placed and order for one set of 2040 ATC CNC router machine.
May 22, 2019STM1530D ATC CNC router with tool magazine of 12 cutters is designed for our Canada customer, the whole CNC router machine is finished and ready for delivery to Canada.
Apr 01, 2020The customer from Vietnam ordered 2 set of ATC CNC milling machine with automatic tool changer for aluminum mold making and metal fabrication, which is STYLECNC self-developed ST6060C ATC CNC mill machine for metal with high speed, high quality, high efficiency, and high precision.
Aug 02, 2021STM1325C 4x8 linear ATC CNC router machine is designed for our customer from Russia, which is equipped with linear automatic tool changer for woodworking.
Customer Reviews and Testimonials
- Zachary from United StatesPosted on Jan 21, 2021Long story short, I'm really happy with the five axis CNC router, it runs really well and the I've found the software SYNTEC easy to follow. Any questions I had were answered promptly and when you contact the help desk, it's Mike that responds and his suggestions are simple to follow and always right on point. If you're thinking about getting into CNC, I highly recommend STYLECNC.
- Franklin Sosa from United StatesPosted on Oct 30, 2020My father in law bought me STM1325C for my birthday of 2020. I was very great full. Compared to other ordinary CNC router machines, its amazing for cabinet door making. It requires patience, research and careful studying. It takes time to learn this CNC kit. You have to know how to use design software and have a basic understanding of G-Code, GRBL, machine setup, and general knowledge of the working functions of the CNC machine.
- Christian from United StatesPosted on Oct 23, 2020After connecting the power I used this cnc router for the first time to make some simple door. I was very impressed with this machine and accessories. They work seamlessly together.
I was using red oak to make door and table and it is beautiful after finishing. I didn't feel the need to do any hand sanding because there were no boo boos.
- Benjamin from CanadaPosted on Oct 23, 2020I did a research online for multi axis CNC router for three months, and I inspected five CNC machine manufacturers from German and China, finally, I made a decision from the quality, technique, skill, power and price, I bought it from STYLECNC. 62 days later, I got the machine with 7 days door-to-door training at the same time. Now I can use the machine easily for 3D mold making, I have to say, it's a great buy for me.
- Dave from United StatesPosted on Feb 23, 2020I really like the 3 axis CNC machine. When I received this machine, it was completely packaged and included with various training videos and user manual. I used it to make a wooden door and the effect was great. This machine is really suitable for my work. Thanks to the help of STYLECNC.
- Hilliard from United KingdomPosted on Feb 21, 2020I had a lot of fun putting it together and making my first cuts. I used the CNC machine to make musical instrument - guitar, automatically change tools, automatically cutting. Fun to use and can let it do the fine details. I have really enjoyed this machine so far. Easily my favorite purchase of the year.
- Selye János from SlovakiaPosted on Feb 14, 2020Just purchased this 5-axis CNC machine 2 months ago, Well packaged. All parts received. Directions worked with a small learning curve. Assembly was straight forward and modular. Sturdy construction. I figured out some techniques to make them behave. Plenty of expansion capability. It works fine. I am glad that I found this unit and it is really convinient for my 3D woodworking projects, it made the whole process much more simple. I like it.
- Ahsan Habib from BangladeshPosted on Feb 06, 2020I just finished a set of raised panel cabinet doors which is about the most challenging thing I use a cnc router table for. The doors ended up nice with the good fit, the minor flaws are most likely due to the operator, not the tools.
Overall, I would recommend this machine to the friend.
- Ethan from CanadaPosted on Dec 10, 2019Excellent CNC machine for cabinet door making. But more importantly is the excellent support from STYLECNC. In my opinion it's not worth the few dollars in savings by choosing one of the knockoff brands. STYLECNC seems to be on top of quality control and as a consumer I appreciate that.
- Hyunseok Shin from Republic of KoreaPosted on Dec 09, 2019The packing is good, the logistics is very fast, I am very satisfied with the ATC CNC router.