Laser Marking Machine Basics - The Beginner's Guide
Are you looking forward to DIY or buy an affordable laser marking machine in USA, UK, UAE, Canada, Australia, Russia, South Africa, China, India or other countries from Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Africa, and Oceania? Review the 2021 new laser marker buyer's guide for CNC machinists, operators and beginners, we'll offer you the best laser marking systems of 2021 with custom laser marking service to fit your laser mark projects, ideas and plans.
What Is A Laser Marking Machine? - Definition
Laser marking machine is a type of laser system with CNC (Computer Numerical Control) which adopts fiber, CO2 or UV laser beam to leave permanent marks of letters, numbers, signs, logos, patterns, pictures, photos on an 2D/3D surface such as metals (stainless steel, carbon steel, galvanized steel, alloy, copper, brass, aluminum, gold, silver, iron, titanium), wood, leather, fabric, plastic, glass which also includes color change due to chemical or molecular alteration, charring, foaming, melting, ablation, etc. This is different from ordinary inkjet printing and CO2 laser marker. Laser marker has advantages of high speed, high quality, high precision, pollution-free, safety, easy operation, free maintenance and low cost. Laser marking machines are also known as laser markers, laser mark machines, laser marker machines, laser marking systems, laser etching machines, laser stippling machines, laser labeling machines, laser printing machines and laser marking tools.
How Does A Laser Marking System Work? - Working Principle
Laser marking systems adopt laser beam to mark label that has been made by graphic utilities. There are both 2D mark for flat surfaces, and 3D mark for curved surfaces.
2D Laser Marking System
The mirror galvanometers are used to scan laser beam and mark on 2D surface. The f˜ lens is used to concentrate the light on the 2D surface.
3D Laser Marking System
The mirror galvanometers are used to scan laser beam and mark on 3D surface. They will move the focus lens (instead of f˜ lens) back and start adjusting the laser beam not only on X axis and Y axis, but also on Z axis.
Laser Marking Process
The system has six different marking processes include annealing engraving, marking, staining, foaming, removing and carbonizing, which is widely used in industrial manufacturing applications, school education, small businesses, home business, small shop and home shop.
What Are Laser Marking Machines Used For? - Applications
The best laser marking machines are distinguished by the laser oscillator. We have fiber laser oscillator generating a 1.06μm laser beam, a UV laser oscillator generating a 0.355μm laser beam, a CO2 laser oscillator generating a 10.6μm laser beam. UV laser converts a fundamental laser to one-third wavelength by a non-linear optical crystal. Fiber lasers are known for generating power effciently, thy are compact due to the oscillation principle. Fiber laser is more suitable for processing metals than UV laser and CO2 laser. UV lasers are effected by the laser wavelength conversions, they can make detailed processing with a low thermal effect for the materials that have a high absorption rate for these wavelengths, however, the operating cost may be high. UV laser markers are very good for plastic. CO2 lasers are more easily absorbed by clear materials because they have a longer wavelength than fiber lasers and UV lasers, this makes them good for marking glass or other clear materials. CO2 lasers are very good for PVC, paper, rubber, glass and wood.
How Many Types Of Laser Marking Machines?
As you are looking for, we always call them as laser metal marking machine, laser wood marking machine, laser jewelry marking machine, laser gold marking machine, laser stainless steel marking machine, laser bearing marking machine, laser plastic marking machine, laser glass marking machine.
Laser Sources: Fiber lasers, CO2 lasers, UV lasers.
Table Sizes: Mini laser markers, portable laser markers, handheld laser markers, desktop laser markers.
Applications: Home laser markers, hobby laser markers, industrial laser marking systems.
Functions: MOPA laser markers, color laser markers, 3D laser markers, online flying laser markers.
How Much Does A Laser Marking Machine Cost?
If you have an idea to buy a cheap laser marking machine, you may wonder how much does it cost? how to get a fair price or final price? According to different laser powers, laser sources, laser software, control system, driving system, spare parts, kits, other hardwares and softwares, you will get a final price range from $3,500.00 to $70,000.00. A fiber laser marker cost is from $3,500.00 to $28,500.00. A CO2 laser marker cost is from $4,500 to $70,000.00. An UV laser marker cost is from $10,000 to $30,000.00. If you want to buy overseas, the fee of tax, customs clearance and shipping costs should be included in the final price.
What Are The Advantages And Benefits Of Laser Marking?
Laser marking is one of the fastest stipping solutions available in the market. This results in high productivity and cost benefits during manufacture. Depending on the material structure and size, different laser machines (e. g. galvo lasers) or laser sources (e. g. fiber lasers) can be used to further increase the speed. It's permanent and at the same time resistant to abrasion, heat and acids. Depending on the parameter settings, certain materials can also be marked without damaging the surface. Thanks to the high precision of marking, even very delicate graphics, 1-point fonts and very small geometries will turn out clearly legible. At the same time, stipping with the laser ensures constant high-quality results.
As a modern precision engraving method, laser marking technology has unparalleled advantages compared with traditional engraving methods such as corrosion, EDM, mechanical scribing, and printing:
1. The laser is used as a engraving method, and there is no processing force between the workpiece and the workpiece. It has the advantages of no contact, no cutting force, and small thermal influence, which ensures the original accuracy of the workpiece. At the same time, it has wide adaptability to materials, can make very fine marks on the surface of a variety of materials and has very good durability;
2. The space control and time control of the laser are very good, and the material, shape, size and processing environment of the processing object are very free. It is especially suitable for automatic engraving and special surface engraving. And the engraving method is flexible, which can not only meet the needs of laboratory-style single-item design, but also meet the requirements of industrialized mass production;
3. Laser marked lines can reach the order of millimeters to micrometers. It is very difficult to imitate and change the marks made by laser marking technology, which is extremely important for product anti-counterfeiting;
4. The combination of laser marking system and CNC control technology can form efficient automatic engraving equipment, which can print various characters, symbols and patterns. It is easy to use software to design marking patterns, change marking content, and adapt to the high-efficiency and fast-paced requirements of modern production;
5. It has no pollution source and is a clean and pollution-free high environmental protection processing technology;
Laser marking technology has been widely used in all walks of life, opening up broad prospects for high-quality, high-efficiency, pollution-free and low-cost modern manufacturing and production. With the continuous expansion of modern laser marking applications, the requirements for miniaturization, high efficiency and integration of laser manufacturing systems are also higher.
|Laser Power||20W, 30W, 50W, 60W, 70W, 80W, 100W, 130W, 150W, 180W, 200W, 300W|
|Laser Source||Fiber laser, CO2 laser, UV laser|
|Marking Content||Letters, Numbers, Signs, Logos, Patterns, Pictures|
|Marking Materials||Metals (stainless steel, carbon steel, galvanized steel, alloy, copper, brass, aluminum, gold, silver, iron, titanium), Wood, Leather, Fabric, Plastic, Glass|
|Price Range||$3,000.00 - $70,000.00|
|Cooling Way||Air cooling, Water cooling|
|Operation System||Microsoft Windows|
How To Use A Laser Marker?
Check the waterway and circuit before turning on the power. The boot sequence is:
1. Turn on the incoming power and turn on the key switch. At this time, the machine exhaust and the cooling system are energized, and the ammeter shows a value of about 7A.
2. Wait 5 to 10 seconds, press the trigger button on the external control panel, the ammeter shows the value is zero, after 3 to 5 seconds, the krypton lamp ignites, the ammeter shows the value 7A. (Refer to the operating instructions of the laser power supply).
3. Power on the galvanometer.
4. Turn on the computer and call up the required marking file.
5. Adjust the laser power to the working current (10 ~ 18A), you can start marking.
After marking, turn off the power of each component in reverse according to the above sequence:
1. Adjust the working current of the laser power supply to the minimum (about 7A).
2. Shut down the computer.
3. Turn off the power of the galvanometer.
4. Press the stop button.
5. Turn off the key switch.
7. Disconnect incoming power.
How To Buy A Laser Marker?
We will recommend the most suitable laser stipping machine to you after being informed by your requirements.
We will offer you with our detail quotation according to the consulted laser stipping machine. You will get the most suitable specifications, the best accessories and the affordable price.
3. Process Evaluation:
Both sides carefully evaluate and discuss all the details (technical parameters, specifications and business terms) of the order to exclude any misunderstanding.
4. Placing Order:
If you have no doubt, we will send you the PI (Proforma Invoice), and then we will sign a contract with you.
We will arrange the machine production as soon as receiving your signed sales contract and deposit. The latest news about production will be updated and informed to the buyer during the production.
6. Quality Control:
The whole production procedure will be under regular inspection and strict quality control. The complete machine will be tested to make sure they can work very well before out of factory.
We will arrange the delivery as the terms in the contract after the confirmation by the fiber laser marker buyer.
8. Custom Clearance:
We will supply and deliver all the necessary shipping documents to the buyer and ensure a smooth customs clearance.
9. Support and Service:
We will offer professional technical support and free service by Phone, Email, Skype, WhatsApp, Online Live Chat, Remote Service. We also have door-to-door service in some areas.
How To Maintain A Laser Marker?
Laser marking machine is a professional CNC laser machine that integrates laser generator, CNC control system, machine and electricity. Nowadays, with more and more emphasis on copyright, it has become indispensable, whether it is used in manufacturing or DIY in terms of personalization, it is very popular in all walks of life. With the continuous expansion of market demand, the use of laser markers in all walks of life is becoming more and more widely, because its price is not cheap, and its maintenance is also valued by everyone.
After the machine is used for a period of time, if it does not pay attention to daily maintenance, its function is easily subject to certain wear and tear, which will directly affect the marking effect, marking speed and the life of the machine. Therefore, we must regularly perform maintenance.
1. Clean the dust, dirt and foreign matter inside the equipment, use a vacuum cleaner, alcohol and dust-free cloth to remove dust, dirt and foreign objects;
2. Check whether the focal length is within the range of the standard focal length, and test that the laser reaches the strongest state;
3. Check whether the lens of the field lens is dirty, wipe with lens cleaning paper;
4. Check whether the parameter setting screen on the laser is normal and the laser parameters are within the setting range;
5. Whether the machine is turned on normally, whether the machine main switch, laser control switch, and laser marking system switch are turned on normally;
6. Confirm that the switch is normal and effective. After pressing the switch, check whether it is energized; whether the laser is working normally.
1. Keep the machine clean and clean the surface and interior of the machine;
2. Check whether the red light preview can be turned on normally, the laser parameters are within the setting range, open the red light correction on the software to turn on the red light;
3. To clean the laser field lens, first use special lens cleaning paper dipped in alcohol to wipe in one direction, and then wipe it with dry lens cleaning paper;
4. Check whether the laser light is normal, open the software and start manual marking for laser test.
1. Check the lifting rail for looseness, abnormal noise, oil leakage, clean with a dust-free cloth and add lubricating oil;
2. Clean the dust at the air outlet of the laser to ensure normal heat dissipation. Clean the dust, waste nodes and other foreign objects inside the equipment, use a vacuum cleaner, alcohol and dust-free cloth to remove dust, dirt and foreign objects;
3. Check whether the laser light emitted by the laser becomes weak, use a power meter to test;
4. Check whether there is any looseness in the power plug and each connection cable connector, check each connector part; whether there is poor contact;
5. Check whether the red preview light path is shifted and perform red light correction.
1. Check the laser cooling fan, whether it rotates normally, and clean the laser power supply and control board dust;
2. Check whether each motion axis is loose, abnormal noise, smooth operation, clean with a dust-free cloth and add lubricating oil.
1. Please wear protective glasses when working to avoid stimulating the bright light to damage the glasses;
2. Special attention is forbidden to put your hand within the laser scanning range during use;
3. When the machine is improperly operated, resulting in an emergency, immediately press the power off;
4. To prevent electric shock, do not operate with wet hands;
5. During the operation of the machine, do not put your head or hand into the machine to avoid personal injury;
6. No specific system parameters may be changed at will without the permission of the equipment technician.
In the process of using laser marking machine, you will occasionally encounter some problems. If you cannot solve the problem in time, it may affect your business. In fact, its principle is very simple, and there are some problems that we can solve by ourselves:
Fault 1: The laser intensity drops and the mark is not clear enough.
1. Whether the laser resonant cavity has changed; fine-tune the resonant cavity lens. Make the best output spot;
2. The acousto-optic crystal shifts or the output energy of the acousto-optic power supply is low; adjust the position of the acousto-optic crystal or increase the working current of the acousto-optic power supply;
3. The laser entering the galvanometer is off-center: adjust the laser;
4. If the current is adjusted to about 20A and the sensitivity is not strong enough: the krypton lamp is aging, replace with a new one.
Fault 2: Krypton lamp cannot be triggered (refer to NTP power supply manual).
1. Check all power connections;
2. The high-pressure krypton lamp is aging, replace the krypton lamp.
Fault 3: There is one long and three short alarms when online.
1. The software does not work, the motherboard is loose, please re-plug the computer when you turn it on.
2. When the Q drive alarm light is on, check whether pin 37 and pin 15 are loose, and whether the Q switch is normally watered.
3. When the laser power alarm light is on, check whether the chiller is turned on and the lamp tube is damaged (if damaged, the lamp tube needs to be replaced).
Fault 4: The reason for not emitting light.
1. The light path screws of the whole machine are loose, and the screws need to be tightened.
2. Whether there is too much dust in the gun body to prevent the gun endoscope from being injured. If found, the gun endoscope must be replaced.
3. When the chiller is turned on for a long time without turning on the laser power and lighting, it will cause freezing and no light. You need to turn off the power system of the whole machine for 1 hour and then restart it.
4. The lamp tube must be replaced if the lamp is aging or the laser power drops.
5. After working for a long time, the laser power drops, open the bottom cover of the gun body, you need to adjust it in the gun endoscope.
Fault 5: Common computer problems.
1. It must be checked whether the graphics during processing are complicated.
2. Do not connect the online computer to the Internet cable, it is a separate control laser system.
3. Running slowly, please don't be too impatient at this time to avoid crashing.
4. Please pay attention to prevent viruses to prevent system errors.
Fault 6: The XY axis of the worktable is not punctual.
1. Are the screws of the slide rail of the worktable loose?
2. The glass on the workbench is determined according to the customer's requirements, and the iron plate or plexiglass plate can be replaced, and the balance under the glass can be adjusted.
3. Electronic rulers can be installed on the right and upper and lower corners of the workbench, which can be installed to facilitate the needs of customers.
4. The screw holes on the workbench can be easily used by customers for positioning, which is negated by the product.
Fault 7: Jumping during operation, and the position is roughly fixed.
1. The synchronous belt is stretched too long and deformed: replace with a new synchronous belt.
2. There is dirt in the pinion groove of the small and small gear reduction gear device: clean the dirt in the pinion groove.
3. Dirt on the pinion of the drive shaft: clean the dirt on the gear groove of the drive shaft.
Fault 8: The start and end points of the closed line are not closed.
1. The timing belt is too loose: tighten the timing belt.
2. Loose connection between gear and shaft: re-tighten.
3. The X-axis guide rail and the Y-axis guide rail are not vertical-adjust the verticality of the X and Y-axis guide rails.
4. The gap between the slider and the guide rail is large: replace the slider.
Fault 9: If you encounter a situation that cannot be cut through.
1. The vertical light is not correct: adjust the vertical light, and readjust the light path if necessary.
2. Improper focus adjustment: re-adjust the focus.
3. The voltage is unstable, the voltage is low, and the laser current is too small. Replace a larger voltage stabilizer and increase the laser current output.
4. The light outlet of the gas nozzle is blocked by spatter: clean the gas nozzle.
5. Protect the air from being blocked: clean the air pump, air filter, and check the air circulation path.
6. The reflector and focusing lens are contaminated: clean the reflector and focusing lens with cleaning fluid.
7. The power of the laser tube is reduced: replace the laser tube.
8. The light control module on the main board is faulty: replace the main board.
9. There is a potentiometer device, the potentiometer is set too small or its own failure: adjust the potentiometer setting or replace the potentiometer.
10. The energy setting in the software is too small: increase energy.
11.Material issues-please choose the right material
12. The focusing lens is cracked or the focusing effect is poor: replace the focusing lens.
13. There is too much dirt in the laser tube and the heat dissipation effect is poor-choose pure water.
Model Number: STJ-50F-Desktop
Sale Price: $3900.00 to $16000.00
Model Number: STJ-20FM-Mini
Sale Price: $5500.00 to $6280.00
Model Number: STJ-20F-Portable
Sale Price: $3150.00 to $8000.00
Model Number: STJ-30F-3D
Sale Price: $12500.00 to $28500.00
Model Number: STJ-60FM-Mini
Sale Price: $7800.00 to $11000.00
Model Number: STJ-30FM-3D
Sale Price: $8700.00 to $26000.00
Model Number: STJ-30C
Sale Price: $6700.00 to $18100.00
Model Number: STJ-80C
Sale Price: $4700.00 to $5500.00
Model Number: STJ-30C
Sale Price: $4400.00 to $7800.00
Model Number: STJ-200C-3D
Sale Price: $34400.00 to $50000.00
Model Number: STJ-30C
Sale Price: $4400.00 to $8000.00
Model Number: STJ-100C-3D
Sale Price: $10500.00 to $70000.00
Model Number: STJ-3KC
Sale Price: $17900.00 to $22000.00
Model Number: STJ-5U
Sale Price: $9500.00 to $20000.00
Model Number: STJ-3U
Sale Price: $6400.00 to $30000.00
Laser Marker Stories
- A Guide to Buy a Laser Engraver for Custom Jewelry MakerCategory: CNC BlogsApr 29, 2021
Looking for an affordable CO2 or fiber laser engraving machine for custom jewelry maker with hobbyists or business to make money? Need a CNC laser jewelry etching & engraving machine for beginners? Review the guide to buy 2021 best laser engravers for personalized jewelry gift & jewelry box making with metal, silver, gold, stainless steel, copper, brass, aluminum, titanium, glass, stone, acrylic, wood, silicon, wafer, zircon, ceramic, film and more.
- How to Mark Different Colors on Stainless Steel with Fiber Laser Marking Machine?
- Differences Between MOPA and Q-Switch Laser Marking Machine
- How to Install and Use EZCAD Software for Laser Marking Machine?
- A Guide to Laser Marking Types
- 3 Common Types of Laser Marking System
- A Guide to Buy a Laser Engraver for Custom Jewelry Maker
- What you should know before buying a laser marking machine?
- Fiber Laser Marking System VS UV Laser Marking System
- How to Setup Laser Marking Machine System?
- How to Choose Different Types of Fiber Laser Marking Machine?
Customer Reviews & Testimonials
- Madison from AustraliaPosted on May 17, 2021Great customer service, very responsive to emails and helping sort out any issues. The mini fiber laser engraver is well built and easy to use. I absolutely love the finished work. Very easy to put together. Took me about 30 minutes to put together and another 20 minutes to figure out how to use the software. I bought this to personalize the wedding gifts. The price was good for a beginner.
- Raymond Todd from United StatesPosted on Apr 09, 2021The sales person, Nina was very knowledgeable and helpful in answering all my questions and concerns. The quality of the 50 Watt Laser is top notch. I purchased all the options and got automatic focus, which adjusts height automatically based on thickness of material. I was skeptical about buying a unit overseas, but Nina helped me with peace of mind in making my purchase. So far after a few months of using it, I'm very satisfied with my purchase and the price is low compared to equivalent USA models. It took me over 1 year to make this purchase after extensive research and looks like I made the right decision, although this is my first laser machine, so I do not have any other experience or use of a fiber laser engraver to compare. Bottom line is it works great and was easy to setup with videos Nina sent and other videos found on YouTube.
- Terry A Dunlap from United StatesPosted on Apr 05, 2021Stop looking at other laser machines this is the machine you are looking for.
If you are looking to buy your first fiber laser engraver for metal: This is the engraver you should get.
If you already have a fiber laser engraving machine and looking to add to your collection: This is the engraver you should get.
If you have another engraver but it is not very good: This is the engraver you should get.
If you are debating whether you should get this machine: This is the engraver you should get.
You are not going to find a better engraver at this price point. Period. This machine is actually underpriced for the quality it outputs.
I bought my first fiber laser marking machine over a year and a half ago after doing extensive research (as you are most likely doing now) I purchased an STJ-50F. I was very excited to enter into this new area of metal deep engraving. Set up took all of about 10 minutes if that. Everything was packed securely and did not have any damage and they include a ton of extras in the box including laser protective glasses.
I started my first test deep engraving which is a logo on the gun barrels and I watched details laid down with pure astonishment. The engravings came out so neat and clean, I showed them to everyone. By this time I was hooked.
After a couple of months I decided to buy the other three fiber laser engravers (two sets of STJ-50F and one set of STJ-50F-Desktop). I was also excited to get that as well. The STJ-50F is virtually maintenance free. I have never done anything to this machine. Never had any problems. Like this one all my STJ-50F are stock without any issues.
With that being said, as I write this my very first STJ-50F power supply didn't work. I contacted support. The lady I chatted with was extremely pleasant to talk to and just made me much more happy in my choice to continue supporting this company. Within a few minutes she has removed the trouble for me remotely.
Now that is some awesome customer service. (Some companies take a few days to get a hold of, but not STYLECNC).
I am very happy with my STJ-50F and very glad I chose to start my deep metal engraving venture with this machine. Had I started with something else in this price range I might not still be doing metal engraving as this requires virtually no troubleshooting other then the metal engraving parameter setting in EZCAD software.
The quality this machine outputs is amazing, The engravings are clean and smooth (as long as you have your settings right in EZCAD software).
I can not recommend this machine enough if you are a beginner, experienced or even looking for the right machine to start or grow up your business at an affordable price. Choose the STJ-50F. You can not go wrong and will not be disappointed.
- John K Rennie from AustraliaPosted on Apr 03, 2021This unit is great. I've had it a week and already sold enough things to pay for it. Works fantastic on leather, cloth, and wood. End results have been fantastic so far.
Software - It's pretty intuitive. Lots of built-in preset options for different materials. Can also set it to do more than one pass for really deep engraving.
Size - Very portable. I have this sitting on the corner of my office working away while I do other things.
Results - I've had no failed engraving out of the thirty or so I've done so far. With a quick settings tweak I was able to re-mark quickly. Other than that one, everything else has been absolutely fantastic. One thing I recommend - USE A LEVEL. If you make sure your device is 100% flat, you'll easily be able to center your image on whatever you're engraving on.
Speed - This totally depends on the size of the image, resolution and file size. Several images I will be marking frequently have now been modified to have minimal "blank" space around the image. For instance, I engraved a skull at 100mm and it took almost 25 minutes. It's a very large file with tons of details. My channel logo takes about 2 minutes. Most of the built-in images take 1 to 2 minutes. I'm satisfied with the speed.
Overall a very competent laser marking machine for a beginner. I've been doing a lot of commissions this week with engraving names on wood crafts, gift tags, and just random things people ask for. I've also been engraving pretty much anything I can think of around my office. I am having a blast with this.
- Josh Patterson from United KingdomPosted on Apr 02, 2021This 3D laser engraver was purchased to expand our one line custom designed product business. I love the easy to use fast set up that really let us jump right into releasing product to the market. It’s high quality and affordable price is perfect for small businesses like ours or the everyday enthusiast.
It is fairly easy to use. So far it pretty good once you get the hang of it and figure out what setting. The instructions with English were easy enough to understand.
Overall it’s a wonderful product that is sure to be put to great use. Really looking forward to future versions of this machine.